Having uneven or misaligned teeth may be a cause of some people’s lack of confidence in their appearance. While some teeth straightening procedures are pretty well-known and widely used, others may be less spoken about or unknown to many. Luckily, there are many great procedures available for those who are interested in beginning their teeth straightening journey.
What Causes Dental Misalignment?
There are many cases of misalignment so the root cause of every case is very different. Dental misalignment can happen for a specific reason or simply be a part of the way our body is naturally. Some of the root causes of dental misalignment include:
- Inherited genetics
- Early tooth loss either as a child or as an adult
- Persistent pressure on the teeth or gums
- Jaw misalignment
The best way to find a treatment that is beneficial for your issue is to see a dental or orthodontic professional. They will be able to examine your teeth and understand what is causing your misalignment. From there, they can create a plan to fix the problem that will be the most beneficial for you.
Procedures That Will Straighten Your Teeth
There are many great teeth straightening options available for patients. Luckily, dental science has progressed a lot and there are diverse treatment plans for each individual patient. The most popular teeth straightening procedures are:
- Clear aligners- Over the years, clear aligner brands such as Invisalign have risen to popularity. This is because they are completely invisible and subtle. This procedure involves taking a cast of your teeth and creating aligners that will gradually move the teeth over time. Typically, aligners are changed out every 1-2 weeks and this procedure can be done mostly from home so you won’t have to worry about constantly going into your dental office for adjustments.
- Metal braces- Traditional braces, otherwise known as metal braces, are the most common treatment for misaligned teeth. This procedure is the most trusted by patients because of the amazing results it offers and because it is the most recognizable. When people think of teeth straightening, metal braces are typically the first treatment that comes to mind. Metal braces apply pressure to the teeth in order to straighten them. They require the use of brackets, metal wires, and rubber bands to move teeth.
- Lingual braces- This is a less common teeth straightening treatment that may not be as common to some people. Instead of other teeth straightening alternatives, lingual braces are applied to the back of your teeth. They require the use of custom brackets to fit perfectly to your teeth. This treatment can be more uncomfortable than clear aligners or metal braces but it is more discreet for those not wanting to broadcast their orthodontic treatment.
There are many wonderful options for those wanting to straighten their teeth. When thinking about which treatment is right for you, it is always best to consult with a professional about your options and what they think would work best for your lifestyle.